The instructions should be followed as stated. Failure to do so may lead to infection, damage, and/or rejection of the piercing.
HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR NEW PIERCING:
The piercing can take anywhere from 4 weeks to 6+months to heal. It may be tender for the first few days, and then it may develop light scabs and appear crusty. DO NOT pick at or peal them off! You may wet your piercing while cleaning in to soften any crust until it becomes similar to a mucus like substance. At that point, using a clean fingertip (not finger nail) you may gently rub it off to remove it.
Using only clean hands. Fingertips and palms only. DO NOT USE the following: Q-tips, fingernails, bath towels, wash cloths, paper towels, sponges, luffas, etc.
- Wash the piercing twice a day. Gently (once in the morning and once at night) wash your piercing. Wash your hands, rinse them clean and then with a 2nd soapy lather, wash the piercing using an antibacterial soap. Expressive Ink recommends Dial Antibacterial liquid pump soap aka Dial Gold.
- Rotate (hoops) or push and pull (posts and studs) the jewelry 5-6 times. With the soapy lather present, gently rotate and/or gently push and pull the jewelry through the piercing 5-6 times. Rinse with lukewarm water. If crust is present, wet your piercing while cleaning in to soften any crust until it becomes similar to a mucus like substance. At that point, using a clean fingertip (not finger nail) you may gently rub it off to remove it. Next, you will gently rotate and/or push and pull the jewelry carefully. Do Not press too hard or scrape with nails.
- Rinse twice. Similar to step 2, after rinsing the soapy lather away from the piercing, gently repeat the rotating and/or pushing and pulling of the jewelry 5-6 times. Complete this process twice to ensure rinsing away any remaining soap.
- Air dry. Do not towel off or dry your piercing after the cleaning process. Allow the piercing to air dry.
- Apply H2Ocean or After Ink Salt water spray 4-6 times daily. Spray the piercing 5-6 times daily between the morning and evening cleaning.
- During the initial healing process (3-4 weeks) avoid the following:
- Direct sun and/or tanning
- Soaking in water ie. Pools, Jacuzzis, Hot Tubs, Oceans, Baths, Ponds, Lakes, etc.
- Extreme heat ie. Saunas, Hot Yoga, etc.
- DO NOT touch, scratch or pick at your piercing
- Trauma to the area (Banging it on things, grappling, etc.)
Make sure your hands are clean every time you touch the piercing and don’t let anyone else touch it! – This includes pets!
For as printed version of our After Care please CLICK HERE.